+ Reply to Thread
    Ladyzag

Smile Finishing ornaments

I am trying to do ornamnents for the first time. I was wondering if any of you experts could give me some tips on how to finishing them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Terri/WA

Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    Images
    Downloads
    here is a link to the forum's gallery of ornament exchange.
    this should give you a few ideas
    http://www.cross-stitch-board.com/ga...p?c=161&userid=
    you can also do a google search for that and get alot of images.
    they have store bought frames,you can stitch a little pillow..you can stitch something on plastic canvas and cut around the edges..the possibilities are endless!
    here is a pic of someones I found on google
    http://homepage.mac.com/shelobmarian...itch_orn45.jpg
    http://seitherin.smugmug.com/photos/17543926-S.jpg
    http://crochet4you.com/books/914.jpg

hope this is enough to get you started with ideas! check for books and kits too!

Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    Downloads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag
    I am trying to do ornamnents for the first time. I was wondering if any of you experts could give me some tips on how to finishing them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Terri/WA
    You could check under ornaments on our Tutorial page:
    http://www.cross-stitch-board.com/fo...ead.php?t=6622
    Birthe

Lainey

Making Ornaments...

Several people have been asking our mods if they know how to make ornaments (think it's got something to do with the time of year???), so it was suggested that I post the instructions I wrote up here.

A few years ago, I got a brilliant idea to stitch ornaments for several people in my family and had to learn quite quickly how to finish them off. There are lots of ways it can be done, so here are a few ideas:

I've done them a few different ways so far: stitched on aida and finished with batting and cord; stitched on vinyl aida - one finished with felt just to cover the back and another with felt showing around the outside of the ornament.

First is to stitch the ornament on paper made for cross stitching or on vinyl aida (not sure if you can get that there). If you use either one, you don't have to do anything to the edges. You just cut around the design. To cover the back, you can use felt (that's what I did). To make the ornament colourful, cut the felt larger then the ornament so it will show around the edges of it.

The ornaments in my gallery are all stitched on aida. Here's how I did it:

1. Stitch the ornament on a good sized piece of fabric.

2. Take a piece of thin cardboard (like from a cereal box) and cut it in the shape you want the ornament to be.

3. To make the ornament "puffy", I used quilting batting and cut that the same size as the cardboard.

4. Glue the batting to the cardboard.

5. Take your ornament and centre it on the batting/cardboard with the batting directly behind the ornament (so the cardboard is showing on the back).

6. Fold the edges of your fabric around the batting/cardboard and glue to the cardboard. (This is where I darn near burned my fingers off! I shouldn't be allowed within 10 feet of a glue gun...)

7. Take some kind of ribbon, cord or material and glue that around the edge of the ornament (I used cord for mine), leaving about an inch at the beginning so you can end it off neatly. When you come to the end, fold the end of the cord and the beginning of the cord over the back and put a big old glob of glue on them to hold them down.

8. Make a loop out of ribbon (or the same cord or material you used for the edging) and glue that to the back of the ornament.

9. Cut a piece of felt (or other fabric) the same size as the ornament. I cut mine to be the size of the inside of the ornament within the cord I edged it with.

10. Glue that on and you're ready to go!

It may sound a little tough, but believe me when I say that if I can do it, anyone can. I am one of the most uncrafty people on the planet (honestly!). Here are some of the ornaments that I made:

Lainey's Ornaments

I wouldn't worry much about it being perfect. I don't think anyone will mind. I know I wouldn't! It's the thought that counts, not the finished result...

Hope this helps!

Wandatoo

Finishing ornaments

I stitch Christmas ornaments on 14-count plastic canvas, then glue on 'fun foam' as a backing. It's quick and easy, and the foam comes in several colours. Check out my gallery (Wandatoo's Gallery) to see some examples.
    Last edited by Wandatoo; 04-15-2007 at 01:29 AM.

Images
    Downloads
    I will sometimes cut a piece of fabric the same size as the oranment and stitch both pieces together and stuff with fiberfill!
    Klista

My Gallery

• froggy's Work
      • My W.I.P
      • Ellen's SAL Part 9
      • Recently finished #1:
      • Christmas Ornament
      • Recently finished #2:
      • Halloween Ornament
      • Recently finished #3:
      • Food/Drink Magnet
      • Recently finished #4:
      • Flower Pincushion
    Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Images
    Downloads
    I mostly use felt that has a sticky side. It comes in white, navy, green & black and cost $.99 at Walmart for a 9"x12" square. You just cut the size you need, peel off the backing and stick it on the back of the project. I then put books on top of it to make sure it sticks well.
    TERRI

Life is fragile, handle with prayer.
    Born to stitch - forced to work.

Lainey
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandatoo
    I stitch Christmas ornaments on 14-count plastic canvas, then glue on 'fun foam' as a backing. It's quick and easy, and the foam comes in several colours. Check out my gallery (Valerie's Gallery) to see some examples.
    Great idea! Never thought of using fun foam...

I've got so many great ideas now I think I might just have to start stitching my Christmas gifts sooner then I planned! And I might even get them finished in plenty of time this year...

lannoe
    Thank you all for the many ways to finish! I will post a pic when I finish mine. You all were a lot of help.

Hugs,

Rlablan

I know this is old

I understand that this thread is very old, but I came across it and I need a little more information on finishing ornaments. Hope someone can help me

I recently got into cross stitch and have started making ornaments. I am really enjoying it but I am frustrated with how to finish my ornaments and actually have them look finished, instead of slapped together. I have been stitching my ornaments on 14 count plastic canvas, and when I cut them out, there is a little bit of plastic on the edges that I don't really like the look of. I have been spraying the back of a piece of felt, and then sticking the ornament to it. Is this okay? I guess I'm just not sure if there is appropriate. My grandma used to use little gold frames but I can't find those anywhere, plus they are expensive.

Thanks for any help.
    Rae

• Beaj's Work
      • My W.I.P
      • EMS~ Rose Sampler
      • Recently finished #1:
      • Checkerboard Sampler~ finished
      • Recently finished #2:
      • Birth Announcement~finished
      • Recently finished #3:
      • SMO~ Quaker Winter~finished
    Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Happy
    Images
    Downloads
    Hi Rae,
    Welcome.
    Things I've tried when working on Plastic canvas is to do kind of a cross stitch around the raw edges that no one likes and that finishes the edges off very nicely if I say so myself.
    You could also glue a fine cord around the edges as well, and that would cover the edges .Hope this helps some....Have Fun...
    Bea

"A laugh is a smile that bursts."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information