+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    spiral

Question fold marks in fabric

I am experiencing problems with fold marks in my aida fabric. I normally handwash my projects and steam iron immediately before finishing/framing. Sometimes the fold lines from where the fabric was shipped/stored absolutely will not iron out. I use quality fabric, the latest piece I've had troubles with is Zweigart brand, and I used it within a month of purchase (so it wasn't stored a long time at my house folded up).

Any ideas on how to avoid this problem?

Thanks, Chris

Delia_S
    I've had a similar problem as well before. While I can't suggest anything to get rid of the permanent folds, what I can recommend is making sure that when you store your material or project you roll it instead of folding it. I started doing this after I was given a resounding scolding by a framer that was trying to frame a piece of mine with fold lines in it

What I do now it that if the material has fold lines when I get it, I wash and iron it straight away. Then I roll it up and store it in cardboard tubes (like what you would find on the inside of a roll of kitchen towels). When I turn it into a project, I write the name of the project on the outside of the tube in pencil so that it is easy to identify. Since I have started doing this, I've never had an issue with fold lines again, regardless of how long a piece stays stored before being worked on.

• froggy's Work
      • My W.I.P
      • Ellen's SAL Part 9
      • Recently finished #1:
      • Christmas Ornament
      • Recently finished #2:
      • Halloween Ornament
      • Recently finished #3:
      • Food/Drink Magnet
      • Recently finished #4:
      • Flower Pincushion
    Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Images
    Downloads
    Thanks for the paper towel roll idea. I think I will start doing that.
    Now to get hubby not to throw the empty tubes out!
    TERRI

Life is fragile, handle with prayer.
    Born to stitch - forced to work.

• stitchingcrazy's Work
      • My W.I.P
      • Ellen's Sampler SAL, CMH Summer Cat, SC Hummingbird Trellis Afghan
      • Recently finished #1:
      • canvas work fan
      • Recently finished #2:
      • magnet, bookmark for our exchanges
      • Recently finished #3:
      • nameplate for friend's son's bedroom door
      • Recently finished #4:
      • Bears at Christmas Tree Skirt-after 13 years!!
      • Recently finished #5:
      • 5 pieces Halloween SAL
    Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Images
    Downloads
    If you are going to roll the fabric around a cardboard tube (paper towel or wrapping paper roll - even bigger!) please put something white like a piece of acid free tissue paper between the cardboard and the fabric. Color can leach from the cardboard to the fabric, especially in high humidity times and cause permanent stains on the fabric.
    Another way to get out stubborn creases in the fabric is to dampen it and place it in the freezer, then thaw it and iron it. I remember when I way young my mom would freeze my step-father's Navy uniforms before ironing them. I think it has something to do with the water expanding when frozen pushes the fibers of the fabric apart, removing creases.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
    Liz

• WVshell's Work
      • My W.I.P
      • Happy What Ever
      • Recently finished #1:
      • Blackwork
      • Recently finished #2:
      • Fishing for my dad
      • Recently finished #3:
      • Cancer Rose
    Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Cold
    Images
    Downloads
    This does work.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchingcrazy View Post
    If you are going to roll the fabric around a cardboard tube (paper towel or wrapping paper roll - even bigger!) please put something white like a piece of acid free tissue paper between the cardboard and the fabric. Color can leach from the cardboard to the fabric, especially in high humidity times and cause permanent stains on the fabric.
    Another way to get out stubborn creases in the fabric is to dampen it and place it in the freezer, then thaw it and iron it. I remember when I way young my mom would freeze my step-father's Navy uniforms before ironing them. I think it has something to do with the water expanding when frozen pushes the fibers of the fabric apart, removing creases.
    The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing. ~John Powell

Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    Images
    Downloads
    Those are great tips ladies! I had a stubborn piece a while ago that even my fabric steamer couldn't get the crease out completely on. Next time I'll know what to do!

pamelam
    I've resorted to only buying aida in tubes because of having such a difficult time getting rid of the creases. Of course that limits me to doing a project that's no larger than 15x18 inches. One tip I hear about a lot is spritzing the creases with one part white vinegar and 2 parts water. I haven't tried that yet, but people say it works wonders.

Capricious
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchingcrazy View Post
    I never knew. I've actually always managed to steam out stubborn creases. I'll keep this tip in mind.

spiral

Thanks for the great ideas

And sorry to be so late about responding. I thought no one had answered because I didn't get any emails. Went to the site and looked, sure enough there were several replies.

I will try the freezer trick for sure. I have quite a bit of fabric stashed, not sure I'm up to washing, pressing, and rolling it all......maybe someday when I am not working 2 jobs?

Thanks all!

KateDonovan
    Rolling on regular cardboard tubes is risky, even is barrier paper is used. It also doesn't help those people whose fabrics are too large to be supported by such a small roll. So here's what I do:
    1. Pick a day where I have a free hour or so. Generously spritz all the fabrics I want to iron with distilled water. Then roll up each one, and put them in a fresh plastic trash bag. Then the next evening, while watching a TV show, I iron them with a dry iron, set on high (Cotton/Linen) heat setting. If a fabric is designated for a specific project, I pin a small tag with project name to the lower-right corner of the fabric.
    2. If my next free hours will be a day or two later, then I put the bag in the freezer, and iron the fabrics directly from the freezer. There is no need to defrost it.
    3. Here's the difference: As each piece is finished, I attach the narrow end to a heavy-duty plastic skirt hanger, with built-in adjustable clips. If the fabrics are larger than Fat Quarters, then I'll add 1-2 extra plastic clothes pins to support the center fabric areas.
    4. After letting it air dry for at least 24 hours (I'm nervous), I then cover the whole thing with a clear plastic bag from my dry cleaner, which I trim to just reach the bottom of the fabrics. The best bags are the heavy-duty ones made for formal dresses. Most dry cleaners will sell (or even give you) a couple if you tell them what it's for. It's also OK to trim the bag 1-2 inches short of the bottom edge of your fabric, if you'd like greater air circulation. The idea is to protect the fabrics from dust, but have plenty of of room for air inside the bag.
    5. Then once a month, I lift the bag, check the fabrics for any problems, and ruffle them around to expose them to even more air. This takes about 5 minutes, and we can all manage that. Then, depending on my time and memory, I pull the bag down immediately, or leave it up, and pull it down the next day.
    6. If you have an unused "suit bag" hanging around your closet, this can be used instead of a dry cleaner bag. Just be sure to remove the bottom seam, so that air can circulate freely inside the bag.
    I've been using this method for almost 3 years now, and have not had any problem with this method, even though I live in a humid area near a lake in western Washington.

Arwen31
    I don't normally have problems with bad creases, most of the time I've been able to get them out by spraying the aida a lot and ironing on a high setting (but being careful to not burn the fabric as I have done that too!).

Then a couple of weeks ago I got out a kit I was given as a present a couple of years ago and I just couldn't get the crease out. I even soaked it in a bowl of water and it still wouldn't come out. So in the end I asked my mum to have a go and she got the worst of it out, but it was still ever so slightly visable, but then when I mounted it my roller frame the tension finally pulled it out.

What annoyed my most was I had read somewhere before about the tip of freezing the fabric (may have been on the forum a couple of years ago) and never kept a note of how best to do it. I certainly have now!!

• Succubus's Work
      • My W.I.P
      • TON of WIPs/ UFOs
      • Recently finished #1:
      • "Kisses From Heaven" by San-Man Originals
    Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Busy
    Images
    Downloads
    Have you tried spraying icy cold water and ironing with the hottest setting? I have noticed that this works when ironing Mr. Wonderful's clothes, if nothing else does (oh yes, I am actually ironing His clothes, who would have thought! I think women do uncharacteristic things for love. ).

Also move the iron on the fabric slowly with a rubbing movement.

And just as a thought... maybe soaking in water mixed with some fabric softerner before ironing would help as it is supposed to soften the fibres.

Quote Originally Posted by froggy View Post
    Now to get hubby not to throw the empty tubes out!
    "Dear, think about it: it's for stitching and about the only thing I can get for free!"

territoman

Icon 27 Crease lines in aida

I had that problem myself. I will certainly try the freezer tip.

It really makes sense to wash the fabric before you start to stitch and give it a good press and not hope the crease comes out later.

Country
    Country Flag
    Downloads
    This may be unconventional but a tried and true trick adapted from the almost dark ages. Mother, and Grandmother before her, would dampen a cloth in vinegar to press the seam into the men's pants. I took that and worked it in reverse. I half fill a spray bottle with water, fill it with white vinegar and spray this on those difficult creases. Let it sit a few minutes and press with a hot iron. I started with the vinegar full strength--yes, it smelled like the pickle factory, and worked with dilutions. Half and Half has never failed me so now the squirt bottle is a fixture at my pressing and cutting station. I need to clarify that I am a quilter and it works for those hard creases from fabric being on bolts.

Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    Images
    Downloads
    Thanks for all the great tips. I've ironed till I was blue, trying to get some of the creases out, to no avail. I'm definitely trying the freezer trick next time. And maybe when it's all nice and ironed, I'll hang the fabric from some small plastic skirt hangers I recently got that are hanging around, doing nothing!

Aurelia Eglantine
    [deleted by author]
    Last edited by Aurelia Eglantine; 07-03-2011 at 11:05 AM.

• stitchingtime's Work
      • My W.I.P
      • 50,000 stitch Iguana - own design, Christmas Tatty on afghan
      • Recently finished #1:
      • bibs for gifts
      • Recently finished #2:
      • Christmas cushions
      • Recently finished #3:
      • Quilted cross stitch baby blanket
      • Recently finished #4:
      • Baby sampler
    Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Busy
    Images
    Downloads
    I do have some folded fabric, and it certainly is difficult to get out the crease on some of them. I will try the freezer idea next when I use some of that fabric. But I have been ordering for the past few years from charlescraft.com the 30 x 36 inch pieces as that way I always have enough aida of different sizes and the price is much more reasonable for me here in Canada buying small pieces. I hadn't seen the 30 x 36 at Michaels before, but I haven't looked for a couple of years. Thanks for that idea too, I'll check it out next time I'm there.
    Happy Stitching ! Anne
    http://stitchnkey.blogspot.com/

Aurelia Eglantine
    [deleted by author]
    Last edited by Aurelia Eglantine; 07-03-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    Images
    Downloads
    Chris this is what I use. I love it. It gets stains and the folds out of the fabric.

http://www.stitchery.com/itemdy00.as...Row=0&srccode=

Michele

Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Images
    Downloads
    To remove fold either the freezer trick or

I use a spray of 1 part white vinegar to 2 parts water only on light coloured fabrics..not sure about dark ones.Then press & press with a steam iron on a towel till the fabric is dry.

I roll all my fabric in one large roll (only fabric inside & yes the middle piece does get a little squashed but never folded) then roll the whole roll in a large piece of light coloured cotton fabric.
    I have one roll for aida and a larger one for linen/evenweaves.

Works for me.

HTH

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information