+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Country
    Country Flag
    Images
    Downloads

Eyes and cross stitching....

.... I am sometimes wondering what my eyes will be like when I'm in my 60's.
    I mean, I'm 47 and just started wearing eyeglasses to read and stitch. I only use 14 count cloth as I noticed smaller count is just too small and makes me nervous (and that's not the point of cross stitching!).
    I work in daytime and use the computer a lot.
    The air I work in is so dry (heating) that my eyes just itch sometimes. So I started using artificial teardrops.
    When I stitch in the evening, I use a daylight lamp.

So, I was wondering... am I the only one who worries about her eyes or are there others with similar problems? Any solutions? And would all this mean I will not be able to stitch much when I am finally retired and will have loads of time?
    Do you notice a difference in your eye quality whilst getting older or does it stay the same?
    DANIELLE
    Be nice to everybody on your way up - You may meet them on your way down

My Blog

My Gallery

I also wear glasses and in the evening my eyes are also a bit tired. I have this problem for a long time now but if I don't stitch I don't live. I feel preoccupied more for my hands because sometimes when it's humid and cold they ache a bit but after I rest of about one day then it's ok again.

Georganna
    Iam 72 and still cross stitch alot . I have a dazor lamp and it helps alot and as for having a lot of time when you retire think agin. I thought the same thing but there is so much more you do you don,t have anymore time to cross stitch.

Country
    Country Flag
    Images
    Downloads
    Quote Originally Posted by Georganna View Post
    Iam 72 and still cross stitch alot . I have a dazor lamp and it helps alot and as for having a lot of time when you retire think agin. I thought the same thing but there is so much more you do you don,t have anymore time to cross stitch.
    But the things you do, are things you really want to do and you don't have to sit (sometimes bored) in an office and watch the days go by. But glad to hear at 72 it's still possible to stitch! Woohoohoo!
    DANIELLE

My Blog

My Gallery

• Mary Joan's Work
      • My W.I.P
      • Large Sampler - Own Design
      • Recently finished #1:
      • Christmas Cards - Teddies
      • Recently finished #2:
      • 5 Bird Greetings Cards
      • Recently finished #3:
      • 5 Angles
      • Recently finished #4:
      • French cherub
    Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Images
    Downloads
    Hi
    I wear glasses and I also have dry eyes and have to use artificial teardrops. When I was working in an office on computers all day I had to remember to blink more, which also helps the eyes. I have good days and bad (mostly good), but I still like working hardanger on linen. I'm on a sampler at the moment and that's on 22 count and I am still able to cope. I'm 55 and since leaving work a year ago, my eyes are much better.
    Mary Joan. Please Visit My Gallery Please visit my blog

• Dragonlair's Work
      • My W.I.P
      • Olde World Map (Dimensions Platinum)
      • Recently finished #1:
      • EMS Blue Tit Baby
      • Recently finished #2:
      • Baby Bibs (8 for assorted showers)
      • Recently finished #3:
      • Seba Blackworks Snowflakes 2 on blue Anne Cloth Afghan
      • Recently finished #4:
      • Patchwork Cow (Dimensions)
    Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Images
    Downloads
    I've been wearing glasses since I was 7. My mother used to be concerned that my love of crafts (even at that age) would make my eyes worse. The doctor told her it would not make any difference. I find I can do 14 count with little problem (even black right now) and sometimes I can do 18 count if it's a light colored fabric and good difference between colors but I do often need to use a magnifier (even with bifocals).

Don't worry. There are aids like the lights and the magnifiers that should help you continue stitching for many years.

My problem is arthritis in my hands. I limit how much stitching I do at any one time because of arthritis and the chance of tendinitis (have had it in BOTH hands). As long as you like different crafts, switching off from time to time, even during the day, uses different muscles and the joints differently. This can help your ability to do all you hobbies and keep it as you age.
    There is no such thing as a stupid question!
    Diane

I wore glasses for 58 years and had no problems (used magnifers on lower count fabric to help some), but in 2005, I developed fast growing cataracts. When I had the surgery, I had "progressive" lenses done and immediately had 20/20 vision in both eyes. No more glasses for me!!! The surgery took an hour for preparation (dialating the eyes) and 4 minutes surgery for each eye. I am in my mid 60's and can stitch just about any count of fabric with no problem. The ONLY time I need a magnifier now is if I do lower counts over 1 (which I do a lot of now) and that is when the piece is solid stitch over 1. Over 2 I have no problem stitching the lower count.

Trosilea

• froggy's Work
      • My W.I.P
      • Ellen's SAL Part 9
      • Recently finished #1:
      • Christmas Ornament
      • Recently finished #2:
      • Halloween Ornament
      • Recently finished #3:
      • Food/Drink Magnet
      • Recently finished #4:
      • Flower Pincushion
    Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Images
    Downloads
    I am 58 and have been wearing glasses full time for about 10 years.
    If there's plenty of light I can stitch just fine. If not I use a magnifying
    glass to help see the holes better. I normally work on 14 count, but have
    done some work on 16 & 18 count.
    TERRI

Life is fragile, handle with prayer.
    Born to stitch - forced to work.

• LesleyM's Work
      • My W.I.P
      • Guild challenge
      • Recently finished #1:
      • Sampler for my sister
      • Recently finished #2:
      • Exchange - sampler
      • Recently finished #3:
      • Hussif
    Country
    Country Flag
    Images
    Downloads
    I have been wearing glasses for 60 years , I mostly stitch on fine 40 count linen.
    But as all our eyes are different I think the main thing is to find the fabric we can each enjoy stitching on and accept that , have good light and don't stitch when you are tired.
    Dont worry about growing old it can be the best time of your life.

LesleyM
    http://notesfromunderthemountain.blogspot.com/
    Butterflies count not months but moments, and yet have enough time.

Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    Images
    Downloads
    I also wear glasses. I have a magnifier light that clips on to my frame. I couldn't live without it. I use it no matter what ct. I'm working on.
    Regards,
    Michele

• stitchingcrazy's Work
      • My W.I.P
      • Ellen's Sampler SAL, CMH Summer Cat, SC Hummingbird Trellis Afghan
      • Recently finished #1:
      • canvas work fan
      • Recently finished #2:
      • magnet, bookmark for our exchanges
      • Recently finished #3:
      • nameplate for friend's son's bedroom door
      • Recently finished #4:
      • Bears at Christmas Tree Skirt-after 13 years!!
      • Recently finished #5:
      • 5 pieces Halloween SAL
    Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Images
    Downloads
    I'm almost 56 and have been wearing glasses for about 8 years. I asked the doc about eyestrain and he said that while your eyes might get tired that there was no way to do actual harm. I'm working on a piece done on 40ct silk gauze right now, almost done. I have a great Ott-light with the magnifier (which I rarely use) but on fine fabrics I wear a pair of drugstore readers over my regular glasses. Not a fashion statement I would do in public but it works for me at home. BTW, my grandmother stitched until her death at age 84.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
    Liz

Country
    Country Flag
    Images
    Downloads
    I have been wearing glasses since I was 11 and had surgery done when I had retina detachment in my early 40s...

I notice that I am about to start having problems reading (especially fine prints), probably due to aging and I try to continue with my stitching as much as I can, and able to do so...

When I look at handicrafts, I do not just look on the project but rather focus on each single stitch and the fine handiwork... from the way I focus on such detail, people sometimes think I'm judging the handiwork, plain fussy, trying to find fault or I am the professional expert...

I will have to accept that as I age, I may not be able to do the fine work that I use to do (and enjoy doing)... right now I just savour whatever I can before I grow senile, have dementia, suffer from arthritis, grow blind or whatever...

I want to know that I can rely on my memories of what used to be...

Country
    Country Flag
    Images
    Downloads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlair View Post
    My problem is arthritis in my hands. I limit how much stitching I do at any one time because of arthritis and the chance of tendinitis (have had it in BOTH hands). As long as you like different crafts, switching off from time to time, even during the day, uses different muscles and the joints differently. This can help your ability to do all you hobbies and keep it as you age.
    Now you got me worried a bit more! I only do cross stitching, no other craft. I use hoops when stitching. Hope I won't get hand/wrist problems on top of sore eyes
    DANIELLE

My Blog

My Gallery

• Dragonlair's Work
      • My W.I.P
      • Recently finished #1:
      • EMS Blue Tit Baby
      • Recently finished #2:
      • Recently finished #3:
      • Recently finished #4:
    Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Images
    Downloads
    Danielle,

The tendinitis from stitching came because I was using Q-Snaps on too fine a fabric. The snaps would not keep the drum-tight tension that I like. I was constantly tugging on the fabric and twisting the clips to keep it tight. If your hoops are the kind with the lititle "lip" on the top edge of the inner ring, then you should have no such problems.

A result of this problem is that I do not remove the hoops as often as I probably should but since the products are (MOST of the time) for me, it's not really an issue.

You might try other crafts just to see if you like them or just take a break occasionally and curl up with a good book!
    Diane

Country
    Country Flag
    Images
    Downloads
    Apparently it's a real health risk to cross stitch
    Too bad about the tendinitis! I never imagined it could occur because of cross stitching!
    How do you treat it?

I don't use them Q-Snaps. I do have a big one and I have to use it for my HAED project, but I completely stopped stitching that one and don't see me start it again soon.

Other crafts.... I do some knitting but as what I knit is never completely to my liking when it's finished, I don't do it that much.
    And other crafts.... I'm not that creative and I don't have the patience. Weird, as I do have the patience to stitch
    DANIELLE

My Blog

My Gallery

• Dragonlair's Work
      • My W.I.P
      • Recently finished #1:
      • EMS Blue Tit Baby
      • Recently finished #2:
      • Recently finished #3:
      • Recently finished #4:
    Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Images
    Downloads
    Danielle,

The only treatment for tendinitis is anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen) and rest. If it gets too bad or doesn't respond, then cortizone shots may be needed. They still only provide temporary relief so I avoided that.

Part of the problem is me. I like the tension so darn tight! Those who stitch in-hand just astound me. I could never get even tension of my stitches that way. Q-Snaps seems to work OK for me if I use Aida. They don't hold tight enough for softer fabric such as afghan cloth. Hoops work fine there.

I do some crochet (mainly afghans), beadwork, latch-hook and (of course) stitching. I got tendinitis in my thumbs because of the latch-hook so I have to watch that one, too. Pulling the knots tight is what did that.

I'm just getting old!!!!!!
    Diane

Downloads
    I wear reading glasses plus I bought some mag-eyes some years ago. Not sure if I have damaged my eyes but I need to wear my glasses and the mag-eyes no matter what count I am using. I have my eyes tested every 2 years and no damage has been done so far. I have to go for my eye test now so I will see what the optician says this time, last time I did not even have to get new lenses so maybe my mag-eyes are O K.

Mavis

Images
    Downloads
    I also wear glasses for any close up work or reading. Each year the glasses have to be strengthened and it certainly does worry me as well. What will my eyes be like in 20 years???
    I usually use 16ct or 14ct. I sometimes use 18ct but not in dark colours as I find that no matter how I concentrate I just cant see the holes.
    Delene

Delia_S
    I have been wearing glasses since I was about 11 or 12. Well, I use the phrase 'wearing' glasses rather loosely as I just couldn't be bothered I kind of got used to my world being out of focus so I only put my glasses on when I actually want to see something (as in watch a movie or some TV); the rest of the time I walk around oblivious. My DH is forever scolding me and telling me to put my glasses on.

I am *very* short sighted so when I am working on my cross stitch, as long as I hold it close, I can see just fine, but if I drop it down to my lap then I can't see it at all.

I once asked my optometrist if doing very fine work could make my eyesight worse and she told me that it wouldn't but that I needed to be aware of eyestrain if I was working for extened periods.

I have noticed though that as I get older, I do struggle to concentrate on fine pieces for long sessions - I have to take a break and do soemthing else because my eyes start to hurt - and I also struggle with darker materials, which never used to be the case.

That being said, I have several projects that I am working 1 over 1 on 25 count, so y'know, kind of like being a sucker for punishment

As for other ailments, arthritis in the hands seems to run in the family but thankfully it hasn't hit me yet, but I do have an old shoulder injury that likes to make itself known if I sit stitching for too long.

But as long as my eye sight and hands hold, I will stitch until I can't stitch anymore. :-) I just love it too much to stop and I don't know what I would do with myself if the day ever came that I could no longer stitch!

Country
    Country Flag
    My Mood
    Busy
    Downloads
    Hello,, we're having the same problem. I only wore glasses when reading or stitching and sometime when eating. The worst is I could not sit too long coz of my back pain and numbness on my right hand. I've try to stop stitching several time but everytime I saw cross stitch designs it always make me thinking of it until I could find time to do it. Eventhough it takes time to finish it. Those pains really slowwww me down but it doesn't stop me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information