+ Reply to Thread
    BtterMomfmg

New to Cross stitch selling, how to price a finished product?

Hi! Stitchers, I am new to the selling cross stitch business and wondering if you could help me, ideas or tips on how to price a finished product decently , considering the total number of the stitch squares and design.
    Pls help, I have been cross stitching for years but never sold one b4.

Thank you so much!

• Dragonlair's Work
      • My W.I.P
      • Olde World Map (Dimensions Platinum)
      • Recently finished #1:
      • EMS Blue Tit Baby
      • Recently finished #2:
      • Baby Bibs (8 for assorted showers)
      • Recently finished #3:
      • Seba Blackworks Snowflakes 2 on blue Anne Cloth Afghan
      • Recently finished #4:
      • Patchwork Cow (Dimensions)
    Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Images
    Downloads
    I will be moving your thread in a minute because this is not the correct forum. The Board Help and Support forum is for issues with the board itself. Your question belongs in Q&A.

As for your question - the vast majority of us do not sell our work. You may not get many answers. We stitch for fun, not for profit.
    There is no such thing as a stupid question!
    Diane

• sammi's Work
      • My W.I.P
      • L&L Noel, W.T.P height chart
      • Recently finished #1:
      • L&L Autumn
      • Recently finished #2:
      • wedding sampler
      • Recently finished #3:
      • new baby pinkeep
      • Recently finished #4:
      • 25 anniversary pinkeep
      • Recently finished #5:
      • needleroll
    Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Images
    Downloads
    I have stitched a piece to sell once, it is not profitable at all and was done more as a favour for the designer I stitch for!! Though I would do it for her again!
    I have heard people charging 1pence per stitch, but you also have to remember that a non-stitcher will not necessarily appreciate the work that goes into a piece and may think that is quite expensive. What I would do, is add up how much it cost to finish and then add a little bit extra on. At least you will get the cost of your materials back! You might also need to check if you can sell the work, depending on whether it is a pattern of your own making or not?
    My Albums
    Samantha

• sylminou's Work
      • My W.I.P
      • First chapter of a stitching book : Anchor color chart
      • Recently finished #1:
      • Wedding Sampler
      • Recently finished #2:
      • Dog face, my own design
      • Recently finished #3:
      • arbre généalogique de la famille
      • Recently finished #4:
      • ange jouant du violon
      • Recently finished #5:
      • Angle 2000 from Told in a Garden
    Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Images
    Downloads
    From Sammi
    have heard people charging 1pence per stitch, but you also have to remember that a non-stitcher will not necessarily appreciate the work that goes into a piece and may think that is quite expensive
    I agree with Sammi. I have this experience where the client did not want to pay at the end.
    Now I don't sell the finish cross stitching projects. I try to teach cross stitching. I made a few friends this way.
    artisane de coeur

Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    Images
    Downloads
    If you search for 'finished cross-stitch' on e-bay you will get a lot of hits at a variety of prices. That might give you an idea.

left5pin
    When and if I do a piece for someone who does not stitch I normally charge approx 3 times the cost of the material used. Even then it is not normally enough for the time I put into it. Don't forget to include the cost of the framing or finishing of the piece if you are also doing that.

Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Busy
    Images
    Downloads
    I'm doing one right now that I will charge a small sum for. It's for a friend of my mother's who asked if I would do it as a gift for her mother. I will charge her only slightly more than it cost me for materials and shipping and maybe a little for the trouble. She will have to foot the bill for the framing and that's what is expensive. I've checked prices on GhostStitchers.com and what they charge is ridiculous.

• Dragonlair's Work
      • My W.I.P
      • Olde World Map (Dimensions Platinum)
      • Recently finished #1:
      • EMS Blue Tit Baby
      • Recently finished #2:
      • Baby Bibs (8 for assorted showers)
      • Recently finished #3:
      • Seba Blackworks Snowflakes 2 on blue Anne Cloth Afghan
      • Recently finished #4:
      • Patchwork Cow (Dimensions)
    Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Images
    Downloads
    Terry, I would be cautious with GhostStithers. I remember contacting them with questions on their procedure years ago and never even received a reply to my email.
    There is no such thing as a stupid question!
    Diane

Country
    Country Flag
    Images
    Downloads

be carefull

Hello,
    I also notice that pepople who never do cross stitching feel that price is too high even if you will take something very very reasonable.

If you plan to do something for colleague or friend my advice is to give them list of materials (fabric, flosses, and any extrass you will need) needed and address of good internet shop, best is this which you usually buy from, and ask them to buy all materials. Agree with them some sum of money for work and that you will keep all leftovers of flosses. Also agree reasonable time for completion of work and keep them posted about progress ( e.g. e-mail with picture).

If you like to sell some things you already made - e-bay will give you good idea how small money you can get form it.

bebejohnson

Red face Selling Cross-stitch work

I have sold needlework only once before. The mistake I made was pricing it by the hours it took to complete (it was two small items), and of course the customer balked. I know have an in-home sewing business (shirts & bags), and I've learned that the norm is to take the cost of the materials and double it. That is industry standard for most craftspersons that I've talked to at festivals, faires, and craft shows.

Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    Images
    Downloads

Country
    Country Flag Region Flag
    My Mood
    Busy
    Images
    Downloads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlair View Post
    Terry, I would be cautious with GhostStithers. I remember contacting them with questions on their procedure years ago and never even received a reply to my email.
    Well I've never dealt with GhostStitchers. I read on another thread where a gal was boasting about working for them and how much she was making and I was just curious enough to go look. There's nothing on their website I saw that states how much they pay their stitchers since they deal in all sorts of needlework but they do quote prices they charge their clients "per stitch" and I found it outrageous. The piece I'm doing now for my mother's nurse would cost her over $300 if she went that route. No way would I pay that much for someone stitching. I do it for fun and love and that's worth more to me than a price per stitch.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information